Keep Heathrow a safe place to work
Heathrow's highest priority is the safety and security of its passengers, staff and the organisations that operate at its airports.
Heathrow is committed to being a leader in health and safety management. Consistent with this aim, Heathrow has integrated health and safety into Heathrow's overall mission statement:
"To give safety and security the highest priority at all times by systematically assessing and managing our safety and security risks through audited, best practice management systems."
Property's vision is to eliminate all preventable illnesses, injuries and business losses due to unplanned events on Heathrow managed premises. Our aim is to be a best practice organisation in the health and safety field.
Heathrow property team working with our customers ensure that we keep Heathrow a safe place to work by:
- Ensuring fire training is carried out annually.
- Fire risk assessments are up to date.
- Third party construction sites are managed safely.
- Kitchen extracts are maintained and cleaned.
- Electrical installations are properly installed and maintained.
- Accidents and Incidents are investigated by independent persons.
- Accommodation is maintained.
- Accommodation is used for its intended use.
- Alterations are approved by Heathrow Property.
Details of what Heathrow and Property customers are responsible for is contained in your property agreement. Typically, Heathrow Property customers are responsible for health and safety compliance, maintenance and environmental compliance. Please refer to your property agreement for full details of your responsibilities.
In order to assure property customers are compliant with the terms of their property agreement and keeping Heathrow a safe place to work. Heathrow Property will be carrying out an annual survey and we will undertake sample inspections to check compliance across our portfolio.
Documents related to workplace safety at Heathrow
To assist Property customers further to meet the Health and Safety regulations and other supporting regulations, we have made the following documents available.
Fit out guidelines (8.2MB PDF) – gaining landlord approval for:
- Refurbishment works within airport accommodation.
- Electronic approvals applications – radio and mobile telephone works.
- Installation of television and satellite equipment
Fire safety guidance (89KB PDF) – guidance on fire safety in your accommodation
Fire risk assessment (313KB XLS) – template for carrying out a fire risk assessment
Fire training return (209KB DOC) – template for recording fire training
Visit the HSE website for more safety guidance and information.