Safe cycling tips
- Always wear a helmet to help prevent injury and to make yourself more visible
- Always follow the Highway Code: obey traffic lights, signs, speed limits and road markings.
- Use the correct hand signals and give way to other vehicles and pedestrians as appropriate.
- Remember that riding on pavements is illegal unless they're specifically designated for sharing.
- Never wear headphones: it is essential to hear clearly in traffic.
- Stay visible: wear bright or reflective clothing, keep your lights bright and make sure you have reflectors fitted on the front and back of your cycle, on your pedals and wheels. Lights should be to British Standard.
- Use your bell to warn pedestrians who may not have seen you.
- Look after your bike and carry an emergency kit – a pump, puncture repair kit, cycle tools and a list of useful telephone numbers.