Request special assistance
What you need to do
If you have a disability or you experience mobility difficulties, you may require special assistance at the airport. Even if you are fairly mobile, there can be long distances to travel within airports and assistance might therefore still be required. This page provides you with all the information you need so that you know what to do before you come to the airport.
Planning your trip
Before you leave home
Under European legislation, your airline is responsible when you are on board the aircraft. Heathrow is responsible for providing special assistance at the airport. Therefore, please pre-book all assistance through your airline, tour operator or travel agent (their website's will contain details of how to do this). Heathrow Airport cannot pre-book special assistance.
- Please inform your airline, tour operator or travel agent of your particular need at the time of booking or at least 48 hours before your travel. Try and give as much notice as possible so we can make the necessary arrangements. If you forget, we will still make every effort to help you in a timely manner.
- Your assistance requirement will then be passed to our service provider, Omniserv.
- You should also inform your airline, tour operator or travel agent if you intend to take your own mobility device (such as a wheelchair or scooter).
Assistance is available for all age groups including wheelchairs for young travellers.
At the airport
We recommend you arrive at the airport no later than two hours before the published flight departure time, or you present yourself for check-in no later than one hour before the published departure time. When you get to the airport help is always at hand in the following areas
Car parks, Central Bus Station and forecourts assistance
There are Help points with help phones in both the Long and Short Stay Car Parks, the Central Bus Station as well as all the forecourts. Please call from here and assistance will be provided.
There are Special Assistance areas within the terminals located at the following areas:
- Terminal 1 before security: Check-in Zone B and K in departures.
- Terminal 1 after security: Behind WHSmith – near Flight Connections Centre.
- Terminal 2 before security: Check-in Zone C, to the right of security control.
- Terminal 2 after security: 'A' Gates, between Gate A16 and the entrance to 'B' Gates.
- Terminal 2 after security: 'B' Gates, between Gates B34 and B35.
- Terminal 3 before security: First floor, opposite Internet Café, above Zones A and B in departures.
- Terminal 3 after security: Additional seating area, behind World Duty Free.
- Terminal 4 before security: Check-in Zone B in departures next to Excess Baggage.
- Terminal 4 after security: Serenity Lounge, to the left of Costa Coffee.
- Terminal 5 before security: Check-in Zone G in departures.
- Terminal 5 after security: The Lichfield Suite opposite Gate A21.
More help points
Help points are located in stations and in baggage reclaim halls. They can also be found on some routes within terminals where there are long distances.
Porterage can be arranged for you when you are at the airport and this is provided free of charge for reasonable amounts of luggage.
Guide dogs can only travel if they are registered with The Pet Travel Scheme and if permitted by your airline and holiday destination. More information about travelling with pets is available on www.defra.gov.uk.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Do I need any special documentation?
A: Not at all, just always have your passport and ticket/ boarding pass at hand at all times as this will help you get through the airport in a timely manner.
Q: I don't have a disability but would like help
A: You could try our meet and assist service. We can assist non-English speakers who need a guiding hand. Call +44 (0)20 8897 9183 to find out more. If it is simply help with luggage, porters are available on +44 (0)20 8745 6011.
Heathrow Airport Limited
The Compass Centre,
Nelson Road, Hounslow
Middlesex, TW6 2GW
Telephone information service (24 hours): 0844 335 1801
If you use a text phone call: 0844 571 7410
D'Albiac House (Room 2047)
Cromer Road, Heathrow Airport
Middlesex TW6 1SD
Email: LHR_feedback@airservcorp.com (for special assistance related enquiries only)
More about Omniserv
Omniserv, as our service provider will ensure that the assistance you require is made available. Assistance can be provided from your arrival at the airport through to your airline lounge (if eligible) and then onto your departing aircraft. Omniserv will then meet you on your return from your arriving aircraft and accompany you to your waiting friends and family or to your onward transportation. All assistance is provided free of charge.
Service level agreements
We are committed to providing the highest level of service in a timely manner and our service level agreements are available to download.